Frederick County Story

Founded in 1745 by English & German settlers, Fredericktown, as originally named was established as a frontier town which serviced wagon trains blazing the first trails across the unexplored Allegheny Mountains. There are many Historical Sites within the City of Frederick.

During your Frederick excursion take time to look into Frederick's future along Carroll Creek Park where the next chapters in our "History of Opportunity" will be written.

Frederick is a celebration of heritage and artistic offerings.

Clustered Spires Golf Course (301) 624-1295

Clustered Spires Golf Course, located just outside of historic Frederick, offers golfers everything they need for an enjoyable day on the golf course. The golf course is laid out upon 200 acres of rolling land adjacent to the Monocacy River. This well designed, challenging 18 hole/layout will test
golfers of all levels and ability.

Our facilities also include a full driving range with grass tees and a putting green. If practicing or on the course itself, golfers may wish to take advantage of the restaurant and grill which has an outdoor patio that offers a panoramic view of the golf course.

Clustered Spires is staffed by P.G.A. professionals who are available for private and group instruction. The staff also maintains a fully stocked pro shop which carries brand name golf equipment and apparel.

Weinberg Center for the Arts [http://www.weinbergcenter.org/welcome.htm]

When the Tivoli celebrated its grand opening on December 23, 1926, more than 1,500 people gathered at the plush movie palace to watch The Strong Man and marvel at the theatre's mighty Wurlitzer organ.

Built at a cost of $350,000, the Tivoli at 20 West Patrick Street was the grandest of three movie palaces in downtown Frederick--ornately decorated with velvet rocking chairs, massive crystal chandeliers, satin brocade wall panels, a mosaic tile floor, and marble columns. Equally impressive was the 1926 Wurlitzer, a mechanical wonder of its day--and one of the few instruments of its kind still in existence.

For the next 30 years, the Tivoli was an important landmark in downtown Frederick, a community gathering place that attracted big crowds to all the big films. The theatre even owns the distinction of becoming, in the late 1930s, Frederick's first public air-conditioned building.

But by the 1950s, television was chipping away at movie theatres' business. And though the Tivoli was the only downtown theatre to survive into the 1970s, audiences were patronizing newer multiplex cinemas. The Tivoli fell into a state of disrepair. Then, late on the night of October 8, 1976, the storm-driven waters of Carroll Creek flooded the theatre and much of downtown Frederick. The Tivoli was nearly destroyed as water peaked three feet above stage level, submerging the seats and floating the Wurlitzer organ onto the stage.

Tearing down the theatre became an option, albeit an unattractive one. But from devastation arose a dedicated community endeavor to salvage the theatre. Individuals and companies donated their services to restore much of the Tivoli's 1920s elegance. Sixteen months and $175,000 later, on February 9, 1978, the theatre reopened with great fanfare as the Weinberg Center for the Arts, named in honor of the Weinberg family, who presented the site as a gift to the City of Frederick.

Now regarded as the county's home for the performing arts, the theatre is once again a source of entertainment and pride for the community. With ongoing renovations and an impressive variety of quality arts entertainment, "The Jewel of Frederick" is as strong as ever, as is the public's adoration of this architectural and cultural gem.

The Historical Society Of Frederick

Business & Services Menu

Aasearch.gif (26976 bytes)

ClassifiedAdsBanner.jpg (13405 bytes)

MirkinReportBannerAA.gif (10517 bytes)

AAPersonalsAd.gif (15177 bytes)

AreaGuidesSealMed1.jpg (9147 bytes)

AAPhotoTour.gif (46369 bytes)